Friday, June 5, 2020

New Card: Tree Giant (Seven Seas #19 -- sort of)

Years ago, many of my "sigcards" from the Yahoo Mailing List for Guardians CCG were incorporated into the fan-made expansion set Seven Seas. I have started to import my homebrew cards to this blog in case Phil, the Bar Fly's website ever goes away.

This post has THREE cards in it. The first is my original .sigcard. The second is a card that I was credited with, because it was derived from my card. The third, I'm not credited with at all, but it's still derived from my original card. So I can claim some credit for all of these cards. Change my mind.

Tree Giant Mortal, Vitality 12, OCB 3, Large, Giant, CMP 0, red bar.
5-point ranged attack that can be used in the Woods and only in the Woods. +3 in the Woods.

Note that my card was a Giant and a Mortal. Also if it says that it can be used in the Woods, the rule on the card trumps the rule book. There isn't any need to point out that it breaks the rule. If I remember correctly, it was modeled on the Rock Giants -- really big, and throwers of rocks.

Here are the two "inspired" cards:

Thorn Tree Elemental, Vitality: 12, OCB: 3, Beer CMP: 0 Red bar, none.
5 pt. ranged attack that can be used only in the Woods (This overrides Woods ranged attacks restrictions)
+ 5 vs Flying Creature
(Artwork: Post, Text: C.J. Burke, Design: Thierry)

The page calls the Thorn Tree "Pricking Sloe-Tree", whatever that is.
The card is an Element (it's a tree) instead of a Giant. The stats are basically the same, except for the bribery icon. And instead of a terrain bonus, it now has a bonus vs flying, which is actually pretty useful. However, with an ability like that, I wouldn't want to waste it as a ranged-attack. Also, this ability isn't restricted to Woods terrain.

The Second one:

Old Willow Elemental, Vitality 4, OCB 3, Beer, Gold, Element, CMP 0, Green bar,
8-pt Ranged attack (can be used also in the Woods). When used as a ranged attack Old Willow is beaten as well. (Artwork: Hildebrandt, Text: Thierry, Design: Thierry)

Again, an Element with a ranged attack that can be used in Woods terrain, but if you use it, it's beaten. So it's a 4 that stacks as a 7 that gives 8 points, but gets beat when used. Seems like a waste to me. Also odd: why would this big old tree be a Vitality of 4? I guess it's ready to fall, and it's special attack is that it will take a bullet for you, so to speak.

Okay, I've snarked and complained enough. What's your opinion. Feel free to respond in the comments.

No comments: