Monday, June 22, 2020

New Card: Time Traveler (Seven Seas #27)

Years ago, many of my "sigcards" from the Yahoo Mailing List for Guardians CCG were incorporated into the fan-made expansion set Seven Seas. I have started to import my homebrew cards to this blog in case Phil, the Bar Fly's website ever goes away.

I'm sure I thought of the mechanic for mechanic for a card to disappear if it loses and, instead of going to your Creature Pen or Stronghold, it goes back into the Shield, but not until the Shield's next battle. This, of course, presents the possibility that the Shield will not have a future battle if it is destroyed. Deciding to call the creature with this ability a "Time Traveler" isn't much of a stretch of the imagination. Likewise, it seems like Wanderer is a better fit than Misc. Human or Wizard.

Time Traveler:  External, Vitality: 5, OCB: 1, Medim, Gold, Wanderer, CMP 0, Green bar. 
If Time Traveler loses his primary match-up, he disappears into the future and reappears the next time this Shield goes into combat.
If Shield is destroyed, Time Traveler is destroyed.
(Artwork: Mattingly, Text: C.J. Burke, Design: Cath)

A thought that hadn't occurred to me before, or if it did, occurred a Very Long Time Ago: You have the opportunity to reinforce your Shield before the Time Traveler returns. This could be a way to sneak an extra 5 points into a Shield. However, you have to be careful not to be over the Vitality limit at the end of the battle.

This is the last of the cards in in the proposed Seven Seas expansion, although there may be one or two others that are very similar to ones that I came up with. It could just be that different people came upon the same inspiration for a card name (particularly if it's a pun), or maybe like minds came up with the same new game mechanic. I know I had my own Gloop card, which was a tribute to Mike Ploog, except that mine actually affected cards with Ploog artwork, similar to Morb's Revenge.

After this, I'll likely start linking to more .sigcards, this time over at the Guardians page.

What's your opinion. Feel free to respond in the comments.


No comments: