Wednesday, April 15, 2020

New Card: Shield Maiden

I saw a Shield Maiden posted, and knew that I had a new Knight card. It was just a matter of deciding what protection she gives.
First thing though, I saw this image by Daniel Comerci, which was posted three years ago (either 2017 or late 2016). Had I search, I would have found many suitable images, but I saw this one first, and I liked it. I did have a problem with its width -- I literally could not zoom out any farther to get the rest of her shield or the top of her spear without black bars appearing on the sides.

Shield Maiden, Mortal, Vitality 4/6, OCB 0, M, Knight, red bar. +3 Vitality to the next Knight you play. If your next primary attacker is a Knight, it gets +5 instead.

I couldn't decide if she should be a 3/5 or a 4/6. Five and sixes are good for Knight shields. I thought 3/6 was too much of a stacking penalty, considering that she doesn't have the traditional Knight off-color bonus (which is roughly half their Vitality).

Her ability applies only to other Knights (which could even be another Shield Maiden) but you don't have to play the Knight as the next card, so there's a little unpredictability. Also, the +5 only applies if it's a primary match-up, not as a secondary attacker.

And, of course, even though I didn't write it on the card, the bonus only applies for this combat. You don't get the +5 in your next battle.

No comments: