Tuesday, April 28, 2020

New Card: Naiad

I saw this posted as a Writing Prompt, and I got a thousand-word story out of it. I also thought that it would look nice on a card. But what kind? A creature or a Spell?

I went with creature, and made it a variant of the Water Nymph. It's not a Selkie, as it's wearing clothes, not a seal skin. It's not a Siren, because you wouldn't find one walking the beach. Even Mermaid didn't seem to fit. Then I remembered Naiads, which are similar to Dryads, only with water, not wood. That would do. (I stumbled across another name ... but I didn't bookmark the link or write it down, so ... it's gone.)

The stats are similar to Water Nymphs, and there aren't any crazy new abilities. Just an old-style card with nice artwork.

I could not find the creator for this image. I'm seem it copied to many boards, but have no idea who made it or when. If anyone knows, I'll happily update this card and give proper credit.
Update: I saw a repost that says the original artist is Foo Midori, @foomidori on Twitter.

Naiad, External, Vitality 6, OCB 1, M, Nymph, Gold, green bar. +2 Vitality in Rivers & Lakes.

I see now that I wrote "+2" instead of "+2 Vitality", which is game-standard language. I'll fix that at some point.

I have nothing else to add. Any comments?

No comments: